The Wm. T. Spaeder Company in Erie, Pennsylvania, is seeking an experienced Fire Protection System Designer to join their team. The System Designer is responsible for facilitating and preparing fire protection system layouts and designs. This position is critical to the success of the Fire Protection Division, so previous experience in fire protection design and layout development is a must.
Specific areas of responsibility for this position include:
- Development of shop drawings and hydraulic calculations for review and approval by engineering, architects, and AHJs.
- Interpretation and application of applicable NFPA standards to the design/layout of the sprinkler system based on the building type, construction type, hazard classification, and architectural features.
- Utilization of AutoCAD and HydraCAD fire protection software.
- Performance of field surveys and attendance of project specific meetings.
- BIM modeling.
- Coordination between trades.
- Development of listings for fabrication.
- Performing other duties that may be assigned by management for the benefit of the organization
The candidate will possess a minimum of three to five years of experience in fire protection design and hydraulic calculations. A two-year technical degree in drafting or computer aided design (CAD) is desired. In addition, the candidate will have demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD; HydraCAD experience is preferred. The ability to interpret instructions, drawings, schematics and technical manuals is also required, along with maintaining proper documentation for work performed.
The ideal performer will be a motivated self-starter requiring little supervision, possessing solid computer skills (Microsoft Office suite), a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record, good interpersonal/technical skills, and the ability to communicate effectively on verbal and written levels. Additionally, this individual will have the ability to perform work in unusual and sometimes difficult positions; such as climbing ladders, scaffolding, and high lift equipment to conduct surveys and job checks.
A locally competitive base salary with the potential to grow and a comprehensive benefit package are provided.
Please reply in confidence with your salary requirements, indicating why you are the best candidate for this position.
“We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need”.