The Wm. T. Spaeder Company in Erie, Pennsylvania, is seeking an experienced Project Manager to join their team. This position is critical to the success of the Industrial Division, so previous experience in project management for mechanical contracting or industrial process piping is a must.
The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for managing the Scope, Schedule, and Budget of projects after award. They are the primary point of contact with our customers and as such are also responsible for the client interface and satisfaction.
They need to be knowledgeable, detail-oriented, have strong written and verbal communication skills. They must understand the technical product/service offering and an ownership of the financial implications of their decisions. They need to be a problem solver, quick learner and excellent technical writer.
Key Account Specialists are Project Managers who oversee all contracts, project, and work orders for clients with whom Spaeder has ongoing maintenance agreements. They must be diligent and meticulous in their record keeping.
Specific areas of responsibility for this position include:
- Compliance with all company and job site Safety rules and regulations.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism, patience, and efficiency to maximize customer satisfaction and increase customer loyalty.
- Comply with existing work processes established by other divisions and apply said processes to Industrial division with modifications as needed.
- Key Account Specialist Critical Responsibilities
- Keep “open jobs” spreadsheet current for each client
- Meet weekly with foreman to review paperwork and job progress.
- Review all completed work orders against material/equipment invoices and time cards to ensure accurate invoicing and auditable records.
- Verify that client signatures are obtained on all completed work orders.
- Meet with accounting weekly to ensure up to date invoicing.
- Negotiate maintenance agreement contracts with new customers and renewals with existing customers.
- Write requisitions/purchase orders for materials, equipment, and subcontracts needed for maintenance agreements.
- With the help of foreman, prepare quotations for work.
- Review post-award contract documents, including drawings, specifications, contracts, addenda, pre-bid RFI’s, etc.
- Intimately know Project (WTS and Subcontractor) Scope of Work.
- Review proposal estimate and job costs breakdowns to setup appropriate project labor codes for tracking of labor charges against budgets. Analyze spent labor hours on weekly basis.
- Develop Project Schedules and update/maintain throughout Project. Expedite activities on the critical path.
- Develop labor/productivity, purchasing, and fabrication plans with Project Engineer, Division Manager, Shop/Field Foremen, and purchasing agents.
- Host Kickoff Meeting with Project/Construction Team
- Manage Subcontractors
- Review post award documents (bulletins, RFI’s, etc.) for cost and schedule impacts. Communicate changes to project team and issue change order notices for all change impacts.
- Monitor project for delays, additional work, stacking of trades, etc. Document impacts and seek out change orders for cost recovery and schedule relief.
- Review internal project documents (material matrix, drawings, etc.) and model for contractual compliance, constructability, etc.
- Facilitate communication of information between project team members using project team meetings, project schedule, Bluebeam dashboards, Revizto model reviews, etc.
- Attend project meetings with client as required.
- Champion VDC Coordination Process with Owner, A/E, and other primes
- Champion Shop Fabrication Process with field personnel.
- Write formal letters/notices to client/subcontractors to establish paper trail of adverse conditions or conditions outside WTS responsibility that affect WTS’s ability to perform or maintain schedule/cost, back charges, establish substantial completion or other key milestones, etc.
- Monitor project cash flow, payment milestone schedule, and invoicing status.
- Forecast project costs on monthly basis.
- Host 25%, 50%, 75%, and closeout progress meetings with construction team members
- Manage demobilization and project closeout
- Conduct Post Mortem with project and management teams to evaluate successes and lessons learned.
- Attend meetings/trainings as deemed required by Division Manager
- Other tasks as assigned by Division Manager.
The candidate will have earned a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of five years of experience in mechanical contracting or a related field and 2 years of experience in project management. The candidate could also have 15 or more years of demonstrated experience in mechanical contracting or a related field as well as at least two years of project management experience.
The ideal performer will be a motivated self-starter requiring little supervision, possessing solid computer skills (Microsoft Office suite, Microsoft Project), a valid driver’s license with a safe driving record as travel accounts for at least 20% of time, good interpersonal/technical skills, and the ability to communicate effectively on verbal and written levels. Additionally, this individual will have the ability to perform work in unusual and sometimes difficult positions; such as climbing ladders, scaffolding, and high lift equipment to conduct surveys and job checks.